"We're Not Moving. We're Returning Home!"
- SeeMore Photos from QPR's First Time at Park Royal (Courtesy Bushman Archives)
- QPR's New Stadium: Compilation of Articles
- See Photos from QPR's First Time at Park Royal (Courtesy Bushman Archives)
From Wikipedia -
"Queens Park Rangers played on two grounds within Park Royal.
The first was the Horse Ring, the site of the now-demolished Guinness Brewery, on the Royal Agricultural Society's show grounds from 1904 to 1907 which had a capacity of 40,000.
When the Society sold the grounds in 1907, QPR moved to the Park Royal Ground, 400 yards south, an almost exact replica of Ayresome Park, with a capacity of 60,000.
The club were forced to move out in February 1915 as the ground was taken over by the Army. Wikipedia
QPR Official Site History of QPR
Because of poor finances, QPR had to move to St. Quintin's Avenue in 1901. Players had to change in a public house and walk to the pitch. The inhabitants of the area complained that QPR were lowering the tone of the neighbourhood and in 1902 QPR moved back to Kensal Rise!
In 1904/05 they moved to The Royal Agricultural Society Ground at Park Royal which could hold 40,000 spectators. In 1905/06 QPR won the Western League Cup, but in 1906/07 they finished in a disappointing 18th place in the 20 team Southern League.
In 1907/08 QPR moved to another new ground at Park Royal, capable of holding 60,000 spectators.
They won the Southern League for the first time. At the end of the season they met Manchester United for the first Charity Shield match. They drew 1-1 - only to succumb to a heavy 4-0 defeat in the replay.
QPR expected to be elected to Division Two as they had won the Southern League and resigned from it. However, Tottenham, who finished eighth, were elected, and QPR had to seek re-admission. They had to play all their matches in mid-week as the fixture list had been completed by the time they were re-admitted.
In 1911/12, QPR won the Southern League for the second time. In 1912, because of a coal strike, QPR played two of their matches at White City, and also went on their first tour of Europe - scoring 40 goals in eight matches!
In 1914, Mr Cowan, who had been manager since the club turned professional, left and Mr Hewie took over. In 1914/15, because the First World War had started, the army took over QPR's ground at Park Royal, and QPR played the rest of their fixtures at Harvist Road.
QPR then took over the ground of the amateur club Shepherd's Bush - who played at Loftus Road. In 1920/21 QPR were elected to the newly-formed Third Division. They also had a new manager, Mr Ned Liddell. They finished third in the table behind Crystal Palace and Southampton. QPR